Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Traditional Irish Flute

Sandra Saathoff (BYSO's flute conductor) shares some of her recent experiences in Ireland:

Macroom, Ireland was the first destination of our trip so I could take lessons with Conal O' Grada. He is a music professor at a university in Cork and a very fabulous flute player and teacher!
I had two 2 hour long lessons with him -it's very humbling to feel like a beginner once again! But I appreciated his patience and good humor as I attempted to figure out cuts, pats, tickles, and rolls -while still playing all the right notes at the right time. Not to mention tone (slightly different/more edgy) breathing (must be rhythmic!) and style! Plus, it turns out learning "by ear" is more difficult than I remembered!
The highlight of my week was on Tuesday. After my first lesson, Conal invited me to go with him to the city of Cork that evening, where he and some friends were going to play an Irish music "session" at a pub near his university. It was amazing! Great fun to see the music taken apart during the lesson, then put together again that evening in performance! It was a fantastic atmosphere -very friendly people; spontaneous singing and dancing; and the music was incredible! In addition to Conal, there was another flutist ( a former saxophonist from New Hampshire) and 2 fiddle players, 2 Bodhran (hand drum) players, and a guitarist. Quite memorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment