Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Chat with a 2009 Composition Winner


This week we wanted to share a little bit about one of our Composition Contest winners. In May these winner's works will be performed at the final Showcase Concert of the season.


Today we chat with Jason Wang, winner of the Debut composition:


BYSO: Jason, please share with us a little about your composition and your hobbies and interests?


Jason: The string quartet “Rondo in G” was originally composed in summer 2007. Although I have composed piano, piano trio, and cello works before, this is my first string quartet. I wanted to try something new. The BYSO project gave me the opportunity to explore new music perspectives. I used Rondo A-B-A-C-A-B-A form for this string quartet. This Rondo inspiration came from a Tarantella on piano I had played before. The principle theme “A” has a rather light and cute tune. It is contrasted with theme “B” which has minor inner-voiced tone and theme “C” with uncertain yet delightful melody. While working in preparation for the performance, I was very lucky to have a judge who helped me to improve continuity and expand my creative mind using music techniques. I like to compose music because it is a way to get away from the world, a way to express myself, and a way to explore new ideas of thought.


I am fourteen years old and a freshman at Roosevelt High school. I started to compose when I was in 3rd grade just for fun, but since last summer, I have been seriously learning the composition with Dr. Peter Mack. I have been study piano playing since 1st grade and I also take cello lessons. Currently I’m playing in Roosevelt High School Orchestra. In addition to music, I like watching nature and being outdoors, and I also enjoy playing tennis. In ten years I hope to be in a music school finishing my PH.D. and in twenty years I would like to be in New York doing music composition of some sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment