Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A little bit about our winners....

On March 8th, 2009 Audrey Chen and Calvin Chan will perform their winning concertos, but who are these BYSO students? Here's a little info. about this year's winners:

Audrey Chen, of Redmond, is playing the Cello Concerto No. 1 in A minor 3rd Movement by Saint-Saens. Audrey started playing cello at the age of eight. “This exciting movement that I am going to perform inspires me with its beautiful melodies and thrilling technique passages. After hearing many great cellists play this concerto, I fell in love with the rich tones of the piece. This concerto is one of my favorite concertos of all the ones I have heard,” shares Audrey.


Calvin Chan, a junior at Interlake High School in the International Baccalaureate program, “picked up the cello…at 11 [year’s old]. “I have been studying cello for 6 years and I now under Ray Davis,” shares Calvin. In addition to his participation in the Bellevue Youth Symphony, Calvin has participated in music programs such as Seattle Youth Symphony, the Academy Chamber Orchestra, and the Academy of Music Northwest. Calvin recently noted, “Lalo's Concerto in D minor has really motivated me to practice much harder as every time I play through it, I finish renewed.” Calvin will play his concerto composition with the Bellevue Youth Symphony Orchestra’s “Youth Symphony.”

We hope you can come join us and watch these winning students perform with the Sinfonia and Youth Orchestras!

No comments:

Post a Comment